Policies and Procedures for The Council on Professional Standards for Kinesiotherapy (COPSKT)
Continuing Competency Board
Registration applications are sent out annually in May via e-mail. Proof of education, application, and fees are required annually to continue registration. A late fee of $50.00 will be charged if dues and/or education units are received after June 15th of each year.
*All continuing education credit must relate to The Kinesiotherapy Scope of Practice.
*The CCBKT requires that 1.2 CEU’s be submitted annually to be in “good standing”.
*One continuing education unit (CEU) represents ten contact hours of participation in an organized educational experience under accountable sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction.
*A copy of the course completion certificate or CEU award certificate prepared and authenticated by the sponsoring agency is required to verify the pertinence and value of the activity.
*Administrative coursework must not exceed 5 hrs.
*CPR, First Aid, Basic Water Safety courses will not be accepted.
If an individual has a question regarding the validity of a course in any of these areas, please contact this office prior to taking the course (CCBKT@akta.org).
Examples of acceptable continuing education credit are:
1. Conference, Workshop, Seminar, Lecture, etc. (Must be related to the Kinesiotherapy Scope of Practice.) Continuing education credits must be indicated on certificate of attendance. This includes all pre-approved Conferences or vendor related coursework
2. Home study courses (Must be related to the Kinesiotherapy Scope of Practice). Pre approved courses available at https://akta.org/professional-development/pre-approved-ceus
3. College Level Coursework – (Must be related to the Scope of Practice for Kinesiotherapy.) Coursework must not parallel other classes taken.
4. Research Projects – Variable credit up to a maximum 1.2 CEU’s for publication in a refereed journal. (Submit reprint or abstract and journal reference)
5. Publications – Variable credit up to 1.2 CEU’s awarded for publication of books, articles and abstracts. (Submit copies for review)
6. Performing Lectures, Seminars – Variable credit given up to 1.2 CEU’s per lecture/seminar, preparation year only. (Submit course outline, time frame and course objectives)
Certificate of Good Standing
A certificate of good standing is available upon confirmation of payment and appropriate CEU’s. Probationary status will be assigned to individuals who do not meet the above deadline.
It is the sole responsibility of the individual RKT to report contact information to the AKTA national office. The CCBKT will not be held responsible for information that can not be forwarded to individuals who do not maintain his or her current contact information with this office.
Military Active Duty Exemption:
Registration exempt status can be obtained for those Registered Kinesiotherapists serving active time in the Military by contacting this office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Must be unable to perform professional Kinesiotherapy duties for over 6 months due to military service.
*Must submit proof of active duty orders for duration of exempt status
Declaration of Retired Status, RKT
If an individual has retired and will no longer be working in the field, the following document can be submitted for permanent retired status.
I, _______________________________request that my registration #_________be placed on permanent retirement status as of __________(date). In doing so, I understand that I can no longer utilize the trademark initials, RKT. I also acknowledge if I should choose to return to good standing at any point after submitting this declaration, I will need to retake the registration exam.
Host Conference Site CEU Pre-Approval:
Those requesting pre-approval of seminars, conferences or workshops, must submit a formal request within 30 days of Conference date.
The following must be submitted to the CCBKT for approval:
1. Course objective
2. Course outline including time frame, content and instructor credentials
The CCBKT will make every attempt to provide pre-approved continuing education. Advertisement for pre-approved coursework will be published on the AKTA website.
Questions/concerns or requests for review of a decision must be addressed to:
Phone: 1- 800-296-2582